Elan 340 Specifications
G-whizz came out of the factory with more than just the standard Elan 340 Specifications the G-whizz equipment is of a high standard featuring a number of well respected brand names; she also features the Elan 340 performance pack (which includes the deeper 2.1 metre composite iron/lead keel) and the Cruising pack (Lots of stuff like hot and cold running water – even to the stern shower), together they make her quite a spirited but comfy performer. The upgraded primary winches and a mainsheet system off the larger Elan 37 make her a bit lighter on the controls. Though I would hate to have to use the standard winches and/or mainsheet as even these upgraded systems can be pretty heavy in stronger winds.
She has a Seldon extendable bow sprit fitted (I believe that this may have become a factory option later in the production run) which makes the use of the Asymmetric spinnaker quite practical. She also carries a 4 metre pole for use with the Symmetrical spinnaker at squarer points of Sail.
One option that as far as I can determine is about the only box that was not ticked on the option sheet, is auto helm! One day one just may find its way on board.
Specifications and equipment summary:
• Length overall: 9.99 m
• Hull length: 9.99 m
• Length at waterline: 9.39 m
• Beam: 3.48 m
• Draft: 2.10 m (Composite steel/lead Keel)
• Displacement approx: 5000 kg
• Ballast: 1490 kg
• Water capacity: 200 l (Plastic)
• Fuel capacity: 95 l (Stainless steel)
• Waste water holding tank Capacity: 70 l (Stainless steel)
• J: 3.67 m
• P: 12.78 m
• E: 4.50 m
• I: 13.49 m
• Air draft: 16.53 m
• Engine Brand: Volvo Penta.
• Engine Model D1 30.
• Engine Power: 29 hp.
• Sail Drive: Volvo Penta 130S.
• Propeller: Flex o Fold 2 Blade.
• Vacuum assisted infusion lamination with Kevlar reinforcements, both in fibre mat (Ararmat) and at mast base and bow, hull and main stringers cast in one piece, foam (Dyvinacell) core. Deck to hull joint bolted and glued.
• Seldon twin swept back spreader mast, seldon boom, keel stepped.
• Dyform wire shrouds and forestay, Synthetic Backstay.
• 7/8 fractional rig.
• Seldon “Rod kicker” vang.
• Harken traveller with 4:1 continuous line adjustment. (Located below end of boom at Helm).
• Infinitely adjustable Harken headsail travellers with 2:1 purchase.
• Seldon Spinnaker pole.
• Seldon extendable bow sprit.
• Seldon 200S Furlex Headsail furler with twin groove foil.
• 36:1 Back stay adjustment (From both side of the helm).
• 6:1 Main Sheet with 18:1 Fine adjustment.
• Main Sheet Traveller with 4:1 continuous line adjustment.
• Seldon in mast 2:1 outhaul. #
• 4:1 Cunningham tensioner.
• 2 x Headsail Halyards (Quick release shackles). #
• 1 x Spinnaker Halyard (Quick release shackle). #
• 1 x Main Halyard (D Shackle). #
• Spinnaker pole down haul 3:1 (Quick release shackle). #
• Spinnaker Pole up haul (Quick release shackle). #
• Asymmetric spinnaker Tack line (Quick release shackle). #
• First Reef, Seldon single line reef system. #
• Second Reef, Seldon single line reef system. #
# = These lines lead back to the cockpit and secured through Spinlock XAS clutches.
• Vang 4:1 double ended adjustment lead through Harken swivel cam cleats in a position accessible to both cockpit and hiking crew.
• Port and starboard Spinnaker sheet tweekers.
• Headsail furling line secured with Spinlock XAS clutch.
• Headsail Sheets (Soft shackles).
• Standard and light weight Spinnaker sheets (Quick release shackles).
• Spinnaker braces (Large bail quick release shackles).
• Harken 44.2ST primary winches.
• Harken 32.2ST Secondary winches.
• Harken Swivel cam cleats for vany, port and starboard.
• Harken Mini cam cleats for Tweekers and headsail travellers.
• Harken Mainsheet traveller
• Harken Headsail travellers (non locking)
• Harken Foot blocks to lead and lock headsail sheets.
• Seldon and Harken turning blocks for spinnaker sheets, Spinnaker braces, spinnaker tweekers, Spinnaker pole down haul and halyards at and mast base.
• Fore and aft, port and starboard mooring cleats.
• Raymarine ST60 Wind, Depth and Speed.
• Raymarine C70 Classic MFD.
• Raymarine fluxgate compass through ITC5 convertor.
• Raymerine Ray54E VHF transceiver.
• Kenwood AM/FM radio receiver, iPod compatible.
• Fusion speakers in cockpit and saloon.
• Steering pedestal mounted compass, Plastimo Olympic.
• GME MT406G EPIRB.
• Hella 3NM NaviLED Pro Navigation Lamps Port Starboard and Stern.
• Aquasignal combination masthead an deck flood lamp (Steaming light converted to LED).
• LED all round anchor light.
• 12 volt boat system.
• 240 volt shore power – Battery charger and water heater, multiple 240 volt outlets.
• 2 x 110 amp House batteries.
• 1 x 75 amp Start battery.
• MasterVolt battery charger.
• 2 x 12 volt accessory power outlets.
• 4 x 2.5 amp USB charging outlets.
• Rule 1500 gph bilge pump with Auto Switch.
• Jabsco water pump.
• Jabsco shower sump pump.
• All Cabin, saloon and reading lamps LEDs.
• 30l hot water tank Engine coolant and 240 volt heated.
• Double galley sink with mixer tap.
• Double heads sinks with mixer tap (pull out shower rose).
• Hot and cold shower to heads and Stern.
• Techimpex Model 92, 2 burner stove with oven.
• Isotherm Top loading refrigeration.
• Lofrans Project X2 hybrid windlass.
• 1 x 10kg Bruce (Fitted in Bow anchor locker).
• 1 x 15 kg CQR (Spare).
• Both 15m chain and 100m line nylon.
• X- tech (Kevla) No. 1 Heavy genoa. #
• X- tech (Kevla)No. 1 Light genoa. #
• Dacron No. 2 Roller furling genoa.
• X-tech (Kevla) No. 3 Jib. #
• Dacron No. 4 Heavy weather jib, with provisions for soft hanks. #
# = Racing sails tack attached to deck not furler drum.
• X-tech (Kevla) fully battened main.
• Symmetrical spinnaker.
• Asymmetric spinnaker.
• Lazy jacks and mainsail bag with roll up feature.
• Non sail canvas
– Full boat covers.
– Boom tent.
• Safety equipment
– Category 3 Racing Rules of Sailing Special regulations.
– Shackles, blocks, screws etc.
– Engine consumables (Filters, Belts etc).
– Inflatable PFD re-charge items
– Winch handles
– Most other things that might break or get lost overboard but probably not the bit needed.
– Mechanic’s tool kit.
– Running rigging tools (fids etc).
– Sewing essentials.
– Electrical wiring tools.
– 12 v rechargeable drill.
Brochure Specifications: Elan 340:
Length overall 9.99 m
Hull length 9.99 m
Length at waterline 9.39 m
Beam 3.48 m
Draft 2.10 m
Displacement approx. 5000 kg
Ballast 1490 kg
Water capacity 200 l
Fuel capacity 95 l
Engine 29 hp
Mainsail 34.51 m2
Genoa 37.13 m2
Spinnaker 89.11 m2
l 13.49 m
J 3.67 m
P 12.78 m
E 4.50 m
Boat design category CE A
Design Rob Humphreys
Interior styling Boris Lubej
G-whizz Elan 340